Sunday, October 24, 2010

Critiques And Gestures

Life Drawing this week consisted mainly of critique and gestural drawings.
Gestural drawing had another element added into the mix for the last two class periods, being that we must include the pelvic region hipbones. The strong crests of the hip bones stick out at the side of the hips and make a u shaped-dip along the model. This can be very apparent, but helpful to include for measuring the proportions of the ribcage to the hip width, as males will have relatively similar length and females may have a slightly larger hip to ribcage ratio.  Also, the ribcage itself can be broken down into squares, and the tip of the ribcage should stick up, and you can use this rule to breakdown the entire rest of the torso for accuracy.
            Shall assignment 1 had 2 different critiques, one being short in small groups and the other being long with the teacher in a different small group. I spent probably the full amount of time, trying to get the accurate cross-contour lines, and spent another big of time just erasing the ones I didn’t care for. We went over the final product and came to some conclusions that although I had the cross contours with good line variation, I could push the line thick and thinness from front to back of the shell. Also, although the shell was at a diagonal, it was not diagonal enough and almost appeared flat where it should have receded more in space. Trouble with the inside of the shell  was not too much in the lines, although I could imagine more of the outside when drawing them, but that if I lightened the inside with my fairly minimal vertical contours, it would make it seem more atmospheric. Another hard thing to step away from is my outlining, which should only be done lightly and be used sparingly for effect. However, my ridges near the end of the shell showed I had spent a fair amount of time observing it, and trying to be accurate. So I will have to push it further as I do my next assignment.


Shell Assign 1





                                                                                          

1 comment:

  1. I really liked when she showed us the square ribcage/pelvis ratio. I think that will help a lot because I always make my rib cage WAY too long. There is so much to think about when you are sketching. Sometimes my form looks really fluid and other times it is just appalling. That is why I like the long drawing times. It allows me to focus on everything.

    Keep up the good work, your shell looks really good!

    ReplyDelete