Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ink and Toes

In class on Tuesday we learned about the bones in the foot. The foot can be broken into sections to understand. Overlapping wedges make up the inner and outer parts of the foot, with 2 toes on the outer side and 3 on the inner. The trick to drawing the foot is to consider the toes as 3 parts with a knob at each end. Substantial thickness should be exaggerated on the toes, even though they may seem rather flat on the smaller toes. Also, the nails should be curved downward on each side to appear to have more form that they may actually project. This creates a change in planes so that it is more believable in the drawing. Also, the toes are not straight across at the joints but should make a curve so to not appear more distorted than real feet.


Ink Shell Practice
This is very helpful in understanding some of the appendages, which can be also applied to hands too. Looking at the fingers as rectangular with 3 sections with joints that have two knobs on each side, will help shape the fingers so they are not “sausage like”. This is very important in creating a believable form.

Then on Thursday we practiced doing ink washes. Starting with a contour line drawing, we then applied our previous skills and combined it with wet media. Using India ink and an orange I diluted the inks and used the varnish brush to dampen the watercolor paper. I wonder though, how will the inks apply to the other Stonehenge paper than the watercolor paper? Also, we are to apply the inks in a way that reflects the shadows of the actual shell?  I cannot get my ink dark enough color wise, so I will have to get another color… maybe a purple to go with my shell for my contrast? However, I do not want to overpower the charcoal drawing too much, but the practice was very helpful in figuring out how to apply the ink washes for shell drawing 3.


4 comments:

  1. Your ink shell drawing turned out great! Good job! I love that color of ink that you used. It almost looks like a light pink. Is this your final piece or just a practice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your shell drawing looks great for a practice round one! I think art that makes you feel like you could have done it, but you didn't is good art. I feel like you did this very effortlessly yet, I know how hard it is to get the shells proportions done correctly. The only picky thing I'd have to say is the line that goes down the middle, where the edge of the shell is, is a little blunt. It's a little distracting, but I love the way you added the color in the swirls at the top of the shell. Happy drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your shells are always so delicately done! the addition of india ink turned out well too! I enjoy the line work in all of your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the coloring of your shell, there is something so delicate and captures the coloring of it beautifully. My shell is a pinkish color like this as well.

    ReplyDelete