Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Final Reflection

I really enjoyed Life Drawing Class overall. I felt I have learned and progressed a great deal.  I have always had a great interest in the human form, and this has not only helped how I draw it, but also how to draw other things. Although we may not have created a great deal of final drawings, I have a greater skill-set than before.
         As commented on my midprogram portfolio, I do believe I have changed a lot as far as how I think about drawing. I never understood how important it was to think about the object as a 3D object while drawing it. Before, I was only thinking about capturing it flat on a page accurately, but a good drawing has some personality to it. With my shells, especially ShellDrawing3 and ShellDrawing4, I pushed how the shell acted in space and how the form interacts with the audience. The addition of ink also helped add personality. I think I have captured the receding diagonal much more accurately, especially in shell drawing 4 in the cavity of the shell. I did struggle with the inside contours so I left them light to suggest the shape with the ink as well. The shape of the shell I believe is more accurate than in previous drawings though.
         In the long drawings and gestures, I really enjoyed learning about the hand and how to break it up into boxes, which I then incorporated into drawing the skull (FinalLongDrawing5). Thinking about something that we have not practiced drawing a lot, I realized how my skill set has changed. I compared the size of objects to one another, tried imagining it in 3D, using line weights to suggest the planes in space and thought of the object cut up into boxes of space. Even the character of the lines I tried to capture all the little nuances help create depth and interest in an otherwise, flat drawing.   Although not perfect, I am happy with my progress this far and I hope to continue to practice these things as I go on with drawing in the future.
Shell Drawing 4
My Pet Shell
Please view my Life Drawing portfolio at my flickr account Westr

2 comments:

  1. I would also agree that you have progressed a great deal over the course of the semester. We have had a chance to look at each others' work over the semester and I would say this last shell drawing was by far your best! I thoroughly enjoyed it as did I think everyone else during our final critique. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like your final shell drawings was one of the best in the class. You did such a great job using your ink to show depth and volume in the shell without going overboard. I really enjoyed this piece and you should feel very proud of it!

    ReplyDelete