Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shell Numero Dos


The Second Shell drawing was the last of the non-inked charcoal drawings we did of the shells. I had chosen to do the back view, as I have already done a front view with the lip of the shell and I wanted to save the other one for the last ink shell assignment. This time, I tried to get more receding diagonal, but I feel that I did not achieve it as successfully as I could have. I spent a great deal of time on place contours, and trying to darken the forefront piece to get this effect
Second Shell Drawing
Here you can see that I did achieve a very round, spiraling shell affect, but it ended up being flat looking. I should have had the end nearest to the audience come out a bit more and exaggerate the lip of the shell.
However, I did successfully create more atmospheric perspective with my darkening and lightening of the lines. This line variation keeps the shell from being boring, especially from the back view. I tried to emphasize and little imperfection by varying the line, especially near the end of the shell, also to create character. I still struggled with creating an outline, but did much better this time. I began lightly, and minimized the marks I put on the page to get a cleaner affect, and focus on placement on the page.  Although I did improve from the first shell, I do believe I needed more work to make it work, but that at this stage I left it because I was afraid to overwork it.
Some other changes that could have improved it would be the middle vertical contour line is just a bit off, and should show a little more width near the bottom of the shell.  In the Third drawing I feel that I addressed this much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment